Thursday, August 19, 2010

THE Caregivers Resource Links

Retirees NewsBasket: {back to top} THE Caregivers Resource Links

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Non-Emergency Government 311 Phone Services

311 Telephone Services

Non-Emergency Government 311 Service has been approved by the US Government as a 3-digit dedicated phone number to reach important government services from any location and at any time.

Simply dial 311 from any telephone and you will reach various non-emergency services thru out the nation.

311 is a simple, easy-to-remember telephone number which connects citizens with specially-trained city customer service representatives. They are ready to help you with your City service requests

Since 311 is a relatively new service not all localities offer 311 service at this time, especially lesser populated areas. However, its use is rapidly gaining momentum as more and more local agencies are offering it.

Things To Look for in a Retirement Home

5 Things to Look for in a Retirement Home
good article on
"Continuing care retirement communities are probably the best prepared to deal with healthcare issues that arise as one gets further on in their golden years. This type of community hosts independent living quarters, assisted living facilities and nursing homes. That way, if a resident's health deteriorates, he or she could get the proper treatment without changing facilities. 'There will come a day when [a patient] will need [in-house, health] services,' says Holohan. 'You don't change homes three or four times.'"

Thursday, August 5, 2010

What's new on | Blog
As you can see, they've gone through a pretty major transition here! In case you're wondering where all the changes are, here is a brief summary:

Blog: As you can see here, Barbara now has a blog where she'll be posting great advice and eldercare news!

Expanded Resources: More online resources and recommended books!

Media & Press: A thorough compiling of all of Barbara's articles, TV appearances, and more!

Online Documents: If you're hosting Barbara for an event, or you'd just like to learn more about her, we now have an online press room and collection of event documents.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Paying for the ‘Institutionalized Spouse’ By CRAIG REAVES

Paying for the ‘Institutionalized Spouse’ - The New Old Age Blog -
Paying for the ‘Institutionalized Spouse’
Craig Reaves.Craig Reaves.

Craig Reaves, past president of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, practices in Kansas City, Mo., and on occasion fields questions from New Old Age readers. You may submit your question to Please limit your inquiries to general legal issues; Mr. Reaves can’t offer personal legal advice.

What happens when one half of a married couple is retired and in need of expensive nursing home care while a younger spouse is still working and earning income? Are there options for protecting any of the income or accumulated wealth (such as retirement accounts) of the younger spouse? Or does it all have to go to pay for the care of the one who’s ill?